Phoenix Montessori Academy
Design, development and construction.
Another example of our single sourced Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) services, this private school project also utilized our development resources. With the 10-year-old school on the brink of disaster having just received notice of their lease being canceled, the school was referred to RdM Architecture for its blend of design-led design-build services. Immediately following our introductory meeting and tour of the school over the holidays our team went right to work assembling and collaborating with the design, development and construction teams. Within approximately 10 months, a 7-acre property was identified; a Conditional Use Permit submitted and obtained; leases drafted, negotiated and executed; design and architectural drawings completed; building, Town and NCDOT permits obtained; 10,000 sf building renovated; the site redeveloped; and the joyful Occupancy!
- Established team leadership, responsibilities and goals at onset of the project
- Immediate effort to establish trust between leadership and school
- Work with parallel activities to minimize schedule variables
- Continue to build trust and relationship with constant communication between development team and school officials
- Develop 3D BIM models to present an update Owner with design intent, to coordinate MEP design services and to minimize field changes in this curved, segmented timber frame structure
- Created diverse and successful visual learning opportunities for hands-on education addressing the school’s curriculum needs
- Identify “change of use” from Business to Education occupancy concerns during design and utilize NC State Existing Building Code to address those code requirements within budgets
- Address inspection interpretations and challenge those perspectives with code compliant alternatives or defense